A Reason To Sacrifice

Catholic Relief Services sponsors Rice Bowls for Lent each year in order to encourage prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. 
Initially called “Operation Rice Bowl”, the program has been in place since 1975 when it was started as a response to the drought in the African Sahel region.  Today, 75% of donations through the rice bowl go toward relief services worldwide, while the other 25% goes to alleviating poverty locally.  The program affects over 100 million people worldwide.  As loose change is thrown into the rice bowl, donors are encouraged to pray every day using a calendar that includes bible stories and reflections above recipes for meals in poor countries that you can try at home.
“The opportunity to contribute to the rice bowls really reminds me that Lent can be about not just personal sacrifice, but giving to others,” said senior Connor McEwan.

Mount de Sales students are always generous to this worthy program, and contributed over 300 dollars in 2013.
E. Hoff ’14
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s